At Cushman & Wakefield, we employ the most talented professionals and invest in superior
resources and technologies to provide our clients with innovative advice and bottom line
The talent of our extraordinary people and the culture and business approach we foster, coupled
with the exceptional, creative services we provide and the results we deliver worldwide for
owners, occupiers, and investors are what really distinguishes Cushman & Wakefield from all
other real estate service firms.
Cushman & Wakefield is currently seeking qualified candidates for the following
Chief Building Operating Engineer – San Francisco, CA
We are seeking a full time chief engineer for a San Francisco facility, consisting of three
buildings, two adjacent and one in close proximity. The chief engineer will direct, control and
supervise all building operations, maintenance and repairs in accordance with building
requirements and management and client goals. The successful candidate will be overseeing
operations in one of the most efficiently operated and acclaimed facilities in the world, with
an Energy Star score of 100, certified LEED-EB; O&M at the platinum level twice, and with a
solid waste diversion rate of 95%. The site also includes Bloom Energy fuel cells that provide
up to 50% of the site’s power needs. This is an exciting opportunity for an individual
who is passionate about energy management and sustainability.
- Supervise building operations, including building operating engineer and facilities
technicians for three buildings totaling approximately 393,000 square feet.
- Be familiar with Cushman & Wakefield policies and procedures and Adobe policies and
procedures as they relate to your position and job description.
- Ensure all equipment and systems are maintained to the highest level of operating
efficiency while providing optimal environmental conditions within the facility with the least
amount of energy and at the lowest cost required.
- Assure that daily rounds are made and recorded and that the status of equipment is noted,
that work orders are completed on time according to established priorities, that preventive
maintenance is completed on a timely basis, and work orders, maintenance and capital
improvements are tracked and recorded currently and accurately.
- Conduct regular inspections and oversee monitoring of all equipment and systems.
- Working with the corporate energy manager and director of engineering, maintain and expand
the energy management program, and work to optimize operating efficiency while reducing
- Support ongoing sustainability programs, including facilitating U.S. Green Building Council
Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (USGBC, LEED) recertification.
- Monitor building systems, track electricity, gas and water use and record the data
according to LEED criteria using a dedicated software system that has been developed for this
- Be familiar with EPA’s Energy Star program and work to ensure building systems are
operating at maximum efficiency, as reflected by Energy Star scores.
- Become familiar with client’s building monitoring system and use it to track building
performance and identify and address variances from expected performance as an integral part of
automated ongoing commissioning.
- Assist with budget preparation.
- Be responsible for the operation and maintenance of the fire and life safety systems.
- Ensure safety meetings are conducted weekly and that all operations are conducted
- Have sufficient knowledge of construction practices as they apply to this
- Be responsible to the facility manager for cost control and forecasting of contracts and
expenditures as they apply to building operations.
- Maintain documentation on inspections, operating and maintenance costs, hazardous
materials, permits and licenses and all appropriate logs.
- Be aware of, interface with and monitor all contractors and vendors performing work within
the facilities, protecting the integrity of the building systems and ensuring that all work is
performed to the highest standards.
- Respond to emergencies and perform tasks necessary for well-being and protection of the
properties and their occupants.
- Establish a rapport with C&W and Adobe management and communicate, as appropriate on an
ongoing basis; submit written and oral reports on all significant issues.
- Treat everyone, management, client representatives, client employees, and vendors with
professional courtesy and respect at all times.
- Thorough knowledge of life safety system; HVAC system; UPS systems, diesel generators;
boilers, diesel and electric fire pumps; plumbing, electrical, and pneumatic controls; and
building management systems and interact with IT team.
- Strong energy management background; familiarity with green building programs
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills; good to excellent computer skills.
- Leadership, managerial, team work, prioritization and interpersonal skills.
- Excellent work ethics, integrity, and sense of humor.
- Ability to interact with client and client employees, senior management, staff, and vendors
in a concerned and professional manner at all times.
- Four-year degree in engineering, related field, or equivalent experience required
- LEED Accredited Professional or LEED Green Association designation preferred
- 5 to 10 years commercial building engineering experience
- 3 to 5 years experience as lead engineer or chief building operating engineer
This is a Local 39 union position.
If you have the skills, enthusiasm and personal initiative necessary to thrive in this
challenging, yet rewarding environment, we offer a competitive salary, excellent benefits
package and an opportunity to contribute to one of the highest performing buildings in the
world. Please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org
No Phone Calls/Agencies Please
Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer